This log goes in chronological order…
I guess here is the initial inspiration.
While in LA, I saw the Zeiss star projector up at Griffiths Observatory and wondered how much optics and electronics I need to shrink that design and make it personal. Anyway, it’s my dream, to make an astronomically accurate star projector for myself and others’ personal uses.
The first render of a designed structure:
Sept 5th, 2018
The beam-circle shape was inspired by the ventilation tube to an underground construction site that I walked past.
I made CAD drawings for the first iteration, as well as made a test run model. It ran well, and produced the following image:
At this stage, my star-drilling technique is still simple: Project a skybox, and map that onto the sphere. The biggest challenge is keeping every face in the correct orientation, as illustrated below:
I also considered the liberal use of Acrylic, which resulted in this render:
Sept 12th, 2018
I realize that the previous design was too clunky, and the support beams were not necessary. So here’s a revision.
Sept 13th, 2018
I’m almost there, and realized my page hasn’t gotten enough updates. The previous revision got cut in order to be packaging-friendly.
Sept 18th, 2018
Test model ready! Parts do fit.
Sept 19th, 2018
Third iteration complete and assembled, including wiring and misc features.
Sans the labels, this design looks like this:
September 20th, 2018.
Lights! The original assembly contained only one LED and it is not enough. After some more optics estimation, I decided to use five LEDs, arranged into two modes with the added function to switch.
I actually did something Apple. Part of yesterday’s assembly broke down and I could not fix it due to the presence of heavy GLUE.
Anyway, here are the rough plans for my new lights, which I intend to highlight:
September 21st, 2018
I ordered some paint online, and before that, here is the product glowing on a shelf.